The source of the second largest river on earth comes up in a Peruvian mountain region. The start of the cruise, at the port of Iquitos, is where you’ll witness a river of some considerable width. In the days that follow, however, it grows ever larger to become a mighty river. The trip will also take you into the romantic wild tributaries, such as the Rio Mayoruna and the Rio Atacuari. On its banks, in deep forests, live the indigenous people, who paint themselves in bright colours and make their jewellery out of natural materials. Leticia is one of the new Colombian cities on the Amazon. It is situated on a spur and is popular for its market. In this area, with any luck you’ll be able to see manatees and colourful butterflies.
Why this cruise?
- Experience the upper Amazon region
- Zodiac trips in search of blue-fronted amazons, caimans, Guianan cock-of-the-rocks, or gold agoutis (weather-dependent)
- The glorious colours of the Amazon flowers
- Close contact with squirrel monkeys on Monkey Island
- Stay a few days longer in Peru – with our preliminary programmes “Machu Picchu” or “Lima”